- Origins: Focus on public relations and marketing communications.
- Early Days: PR agencies hired digital agencies for creative and web development for company corporate web sites.
- Today: Partners with digital agencies for platform distribution of news and social feeds. Hires emerging agencies for social media services.
Barriers for digital agencies to enter the PR agency market: Traditional networks (professional contacts)
- Don’t have the big client relationships
- Lack of brand and PR strategy
- Poor networking ability (access to media and journalist influencers)
Will lose communications and contact strategy work if it doesn’t introduce more digital and UX design disciplines.
To maintain this market definition, PR needs to leverage digital platforms that automate marketing and communications and hire former social media leaders.